At the end of the 22 days exploring New Zealand you won't want to leave! Get the full taste of New Zealand covering both North and South Islands in our fully equipped coach. We depart from the country's largest city, Auckland. Stay in dorm share accommodation as we serve up adventure after adventure. Hike the Whangarei Falls and fall in love with the picture-perfect Bay of Islands. Relax in the thermal hot springs of Rotorua and before crossing from North Island to South at Wellington in to Nelson. Here you'll see glacial carved lakes at Franz Josef Glacier as well as the hidden beaches. The tour concludes in Christchurch. As this tour is made up of three individual trips you may have a different tour guide and passengers at each leg of the trip.
Max Passengers: 15
AUD $4130.00EUR €3150.00GBP £2620.00
|Route||Auckland to Christchurch|
|Price (adult)||AUD $4130.00EUR €3150.00GBP £2620.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 - Auckland
Arrive early to make the most of the distinctive Pacific flavour of Auckland, New Zealand's largest city. Enjoy a cosmopolitan vibe and a wide variety of well positioned cafes that bask in the lively atmosphere.
Day 2 and 3 - Bay of Islands
Travel north to the beautiful Bay of Islands. Take an overnight cruise through this amazing region. The boat is equipped with kayaks, snorkelling gear and other equipment for all the planned stops at the islands on this 22 hour tour. Sit back, soak up the stunning scenery and enjoy one of your tour highlights!
Day 4 - Waitomo
Discover Waitomo, which is famous for its limestone caves, glow worms and blackwater rafting - an unforgettable trip involving hiking and descending an underground river floating on an inner tube (own expense).
Day 5 - Rotorua
Geysers, bubbling mud pools and volcanic cliffs shaped by seismic forces make Rotorua a must-see while travelling in New Zealand. This popular resort town also boasts a fine selection of restaurants and cafes.
Day 6 and 7 - Taupo to Mt Ruapehu
Visit the beautiful Huka Falls on the way to Taupo. While in Taupo, take the opportunity to bungee jump or jet boat (optional and own expense) - this is the extreme sports capital of the North Island after all! Be inspired and captivated by the majesty of Mt Ruapehu. For the energetic, a hike along the Tongariro Crossing is recommended.
Day 8 - Wellington
Spend time exploring Te Papa Tongarewa Museum. In free time perhaps jump in the cable car to the Botanic Gardens for spectacular views of Wellington city and harbour.
Day 9 and 10 - Nelson
Cruise the Marlborough Sounds while aboard a scenic ferry from the North to the South Island, on the way to Nelson. Be sure to make time to visit Abel Tasman National Park or perhaps indulge in a local winery tour.
Day 11 - Kaikoura
Leaving Nelson we head to the beautiful coastline of Kaikoura where many adventures await us. Take a boat trip out to see the whales (optional and own expnse). Experience being close to some of the largest creatures in the world. For those who wish there are plane or helicopter flights to view the whales. Kaikoura is famous for its seafood and marine life with much to see and do.
Day 12 - Christchurch
Arrive early and discover Christchurch, the south islands remerging city. Explore pop up bars, cafes and restaurants in the exciting new development dubbed RE:start. Relax with a coffee in a converted shipping container and see what’s happening in funky Christchurch.
Day 13 - Punakaiki
Leave the dry East Coast and cross the dividing range on the way to the lush, green West Coast. Watch as the countryside changes radically to reveal deep blue rivers springing from the steep mountainsides.
Day 14 and 15 - Franz Josef Glacier
Sit back and relax on a breathtaking drive along the coast, passing forests, lakes and hidden beaches. Arrive in Franz Josef and choose from an array of optional activities here. Join a guided hike across the glacier, go for a kayak, take a spin on a quad bike or enjoy unrivalled views of the region on a scenic flight (all activities optional and own expense).
Days 16 to 19 - Queenstown
Soak up mountain vistas, meandering rivers and glassy lakes while travelling to Queenstown. Be sure to have camera batteries charged as there'll be countless photo opportunities along the way. Then be spoilt for choice in the undisputed adventure capital of New Zealand. Jet boat, bungee jump, paraglide and kayak around Queenstown before taking time out on the Skyline Gondola (all activities apart from the Gondola trip are at own expense).
Day 20 - Te Anau
Explore Milford Sound on a cruise (seasonal May – September) and search out bottlenose dolphins, seals and crested penguins. This area dishes up scenery that is nothing short of breathtaking, with tall mountain peaks, waterfalls and crystal clear water.
Day 21 - Mount Cook
Be dwarfed by spectacular Aoraki (Mt Cook) which, at an impressive 3,754 m (12,316 ft), is the highest mountain in New Zealand. Explore meadows, lakes, streams and glaciers which shelter the world's only alpine parrot, the kea.
Day 22 - Christchurch
Travel back to Christchurch where it will be time to say farewell to new friends. Perhaps choose to celebrate the end of this epic South Island adventure with a group dinner!
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Kiwi International Hotel, Auckland
Arrival location : Jailhouse Hostel Christchurch evening of day 22
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced guide
- 20 nights lodge style accommodation and 1 night overnight boat cruise
- meals are not included *
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Swimming gear
- Hat & sunscreen
- Motion sickness tablets
- Water bottle
- Towel and toiletries
- Warm clothing and waterproof jacket,
- Insect repellent
- Money for meal kitty*
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions and weather extremes. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Tour is operated by our tour partner Trek Tracks New Zealand
- The Bay of Islands boat tour will be substituted May - September with another boat tour of equivalent value, quality and experience, which may or may not be overnight depending on availability and conditions.
- The overnight boat tour may need to be substituted to a day boat tour during winter departures.
- Adventure Tours reserve the right to assess the fitness capability of passengers prior to tour departure.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 20kg applies.
- *We operate an optional kitty on all New Zealand Explorer tours. Passengers are encouraged to contribute to a central fund which is used to buy groceries which then supply meals to the entire group. Passengers with special dietary requirements may prefer to opt out but can in most cases be catered for easily. The kitty is administered by the group and your leader will collect the food kitty payment NZ$15 per day. Food kitty money will cover most meals. Some nights the group may decide to eat out which is extra (approx. $15 – $25). We will provide all cooking equipment and everyone will take turns in the buying, preparation and cooking of group meals.