At the end of the 22 days exploring New Zealand you won't want to leave! Get the full taste of New Zealand covering both North and South Islands in our fully equipped coach. We depart from the country's largest city, Auckland. Stay in dorm share accommodation as we serve up adventure after adventure. Hike the Whangarei Falls and fall in love with the picture-perfect Bay of Islands. Relax in the thermal hot springs of Rotorua and before crossing from North Island to South at Wellington in to Nelson. Here you'll see glacial carved lakes at Franz Josef Glacier as well as the hidden beaches. The tour concludes in Christchurch. As this tour is made up of three individual trips you may have a different tour guide and passengers at each leg of the trip.
Max Passengers: 15
AUD $3530.00EUR €2455.00GBP £2110.00
|Route||Auckland to Christchurch|
|Price (adult)||AUD $3530.00EUR €2455.00GBP £2110.00|
|Valid||31 March 2014 - 30 March 2015|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Auckland
Arrive early to make the most of the distinctive Pacific flavour of Auckland, New Zealand's largest city. Enjoy a cosmopolitan vibe and a wide variety of well positioned cafes that bask in the lively atmosphere. The trip begins with a group welcome meeting at approximately 6:30pm.
Day 2 Bay of Islands
We leave Auckland and drive through fantastic scenery towards New Zealand's picture-perfect North where there are beautiful beaches and unspoiled places to explore.Day 3 Bay of IslandsToday we have a range of available activities including kayaking, a boat trip to the islands or just taking it easy and relaxing. We also visit the village of Russell for a look into NZ´s interesting past.
Day 4 – Waitomo-Rotorua
Discover Waitomo, which is famous for its limestone caves, glow worms and blackwater rafting - an unforgettable adventure experience involving hiking and descending an underground river floating on an inner tube.
Day 5 – Rotorua
Geysers, bubbling mud pools and volcanic cliffs shaped by seismic forces make Rotorua a must-see destination while travelling in New Zealand. It is also one of the world’s most lively places for geothermal activity. This popular resort town boasts a fine selection of restaurants and cafes.
Days 6 and 7 – Taupo/Mt Ruapehu
Visit the beautiful Huka Falls on the way to Taupo. While in Taupo, take the opportunity to bungee jump or jet boat (at own expense) - this is the extreme sports capital of the North Island after all! For the energetic we recommend a hike along the Tongariro Crossing.
Day 8 – Wellington
We spend some time today exploring Te Papa Tongarewa museum. In our free time perhaps jump in the cable car to the Botanic Gardens for spectacular views of Wellington city and harbour.
Days 9 and 10 – Nelson
Cruise the Marlborough Sounds while aboard a scenic ferry from the North to the South Island on the way to Nelson. Be sure to make time to visit Abel Tasman National Park or perhaps indulge in a local winery tour.
Day 11 – Kaikoura
Travel to Kaikoura, where animal lovers can spot sperm whales, dolphins, seals and wandering albatrosses in this wildlife mecca.
Day 12 – Christchurch
Arrive early and discover Christchurch, the south islands remerging city. Explore pop up bars, cafes and restaurants in the exciting new development dubbed RE:start. Relax with a coffee in a converted shipping container and see what’s happening in funky Christchurch.
Day 13 – Punakaiki
Leave the dry East Coast and cross the dividing range on the way to the lush, green West Coast. Watch as the countryside changes radically to reveal deep blue rivers springing from the steep mountainsides.
Days 14 and 15 – Franz Josef Glacier
Sit back and relax on a breathtaking drive along the coast, passing forests, lakes and hidden beaches. Arrive in Franz Josef and choose from an array of optional activities such as a guided hike across a glacier, kayaking, taking a spin on a quad bike or enjoying unrivalled views of the region on a scenic flight (optional and own expense).
Days 16 to 19 – Queenstown
Soak up mountain vistas, meandering rivers and glassy lakes while travelling to Queenstown. Be sure to have space on your camera’s memory card as there'll be countless photo opportunities along the way. Queenstown will spoil you for choice as the undisputed adventure capital of New Zealand. Jet boat, bungee jump, paraglide and kayak before taking time out on the Skyline Gondola (all activities apart from the Gondola trip are at own expense).
Day 20 - Doubtful Sound
We drive through to Doubtful Sound to go aboard your overnight cruise boat for a fantastic trip through the fjords. This place is stunning with tall mountain peaks and waterfalls, truly one of the most spectacular places in the country. (four berth cabins aboard the ship. No upgrade available for cruise night).
Day 21 – Mount Cook
Be dwarfed by spectacular Aoraki (Mt Cook) which, at an impressive 3,754 m (12,316 ft), is the highest mountain in New Zealand. Explore meadows, lakes, streams and glaciers which shelter the world's only alpine parrot, the kea.
Day 22 – Christchurch
Today we return back to Christchurch where it will be time to say farewell to new friends. Perhaps choose to celebrate the end of this South Island adventure with a group dinner!
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Kiwi International Hotel, Auckland
Arrival location : Jailhouse Hostel Christchurch evening of day 22
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced guide
- 20 nights lodge style accommodation or lodge style accommodation (upgrade only)and 1 night overnight boat cruise. Please note upgrade rooms are not available on the Cruise due to room restrictions, all accommodation is quad share.
- meals are not included *
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes
- hat and sunscreen
- towel and toiletries
- swimming gear
- warm clothing in winter
- water bottles
- insect repellent
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions and weather extremes. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Tour is operated by our tour partner Trek Tracks
- The overnight boat tour may need to be substituted to a day boat tour during winter departures.
- It is your responsibility to advise Adventure Tours Australia if you have any special dietary requirements or medical conditions (including allergies) well ahead of departure.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 20kg applies.
- *We operate an optional kitty on all New Zealand Explorer tours. Passengers are encouraged to contribute to a central fund which is used to buy groceries which then supply meals to the entire group. Passengers with special dietary requirements may prefer to opt out but can in most cases be catered for easily. The kitty is administered by the group and your leader will collect the food kitty payment NZ$15 per day. Food kitty money will cover most meals. Some nights the group may decide to eat out which is extra (approx. $15 – $25). We will provide all cooking equipment and everyone will take turns in the buying, preparation and cooking of group meals.