This is an East to West tour of the South island of beautiful New Zealand. See the icy vistas ar Franz Josef before visiting the adrenaline capital of the world - Queenstown. Here you'll be able to go crazy trying out all the action-packed activities as you can handle - bungy, sky diving, paragliding, the list goes on. The tour makes a stop in Mt Cook before ending in Christchurch. Stay in a hotel over the nine nights of this tour, with one overnight on a boat cruise.
Max Passengers: 15
AUD $2095.00EUR €1595.00GBP £1330.00
|Route||Christchurch to Christchurch|
|Price (adult)||AUD $2095.00EUR €1595.00GBP £1330.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 - Christchurch
Arrive early and discover Christchurch, the south islands remerging city. Explore pop up bars, cafes and restaurants and the exciting new city developments. Relax with a coffee in a converted shipping container and see what’s happening in funky Christchurch. The trip begins with a welcome meeting at approximately 6pm.
Day 2 - Punakaiki
Leave the dry East Coast and cross the dividing range on the way to the lush, green West Coast. Watch as the countryside changes radically to reveal deep blue rivers springing from the steep mountainsides.
Day 3 and 4 - Franz Josef Glacier
Sit back and relax on a breathtaking drive along the coast, passing forests, lakes and hidden beaches. Arrive in Franz Josef and choose from an array of optional activities here. Join a guided hike across the glacier, go for a kayak, take a spin on a quad bike or enjoy unrivalled views of the region on a scenic flight (optional and own expense).
Day 5 to 8 - Queenstown
Soak up mountain vistas, meandering rivers and glassy lakes while travelling to Queenstown. Be sure to have camera batteries charged as there'll be countless photo opportunities along the way. Then be spoilt for choice in the undisputed adventure capital of New Zealand. Jet boat, bungee jump, paraglide and kayak around Queenstown before taking time out on the Skyline Gondola (all activities apart from the Gondola trip are at own expense).
Day 9 – Milford Sound
Explore Milford Sound on a cruise (seasonal May – September) and keep your eyes peeled for bottlenose dolphins, seals and crested penguins. This area dishes up scenery that is nothing short of breathtaking, with tall mountain peaks, waterfalls and crystal clear water.
Day 10 - Mount Cook
Be dwarfed by spectacular Aoraki (Mt Cook) which, at an impressive 3,754 m (12,316 ft), is the highest mountain in New Zealand. Explore meadows, lakes, streams and glaciers which shelter the world's only alpine parrot, the kea.
Day 11 - Christchurch
Travel back to Christchurch where it will be time to say farewell to new friends. Perhaps choose to celebrate the end of this epic South Island adventure with a group dinner!
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Jailhouse Hostel, Christchurch 7.30am day 2
Arrival location : Jailhouse Hostel Christchurch approx 6:00pm day 11.
Jan: 09 23
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced guide
- 9 nights lodge style accommodation and 1 night overnight boat cruise.
- Meals are not included*
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Swimming gear
- Hat & sunscreen
- Motion sickness tablets
- Water bottle
- Towel and toiletries
- Warm clothing and waterproof jacket,
- Insect repellent
- Money for meal kitty*
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions and weather extremes. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Tour is operated by our tour partner Trek Tracks.
- The overnight boat tour on day 9 may need to be substituted to a day boat tour during winter departures.
- Adventure Tours reserve the right to assess the fitness capability of passengers prior to tour departure.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 20kg applies.
- *We operate an optional kitty on all New Zealand Explorer tours. Passengers are encouraged to contribute to a central fund which is used to buy groceries which then supply meals to the entire group. Passengers with special dietary requirements may prefer to opt out but can in most cases be catered for easily. The kitty is administered by the group and your leader will collect the food kitty payment NZ$15 per day. Food kitty money will cover most meals. Some nights the group may decide to eat out which is extra (approx. $15 – $25). We will provide all cooking equipment and everyone will take turns in the buying, preparation and cooking of group meals.