This is an East to West tour of the South island of beautiful New Zealand. See the icy vistas ar Franz Josef before visiting the adrenaline capital of the world - Queenstown. Here you'll be able to go crazy trying out all the action-packed activities as you can handle - bungy, sky diving, paragliding, the list goes on. The tour makes a stop in Mt Cook before ending in Christchurch.
Max Passengers: 15
AUD $1845.00EUR €1285.00GBP £1105.00
|Route||Christchurch to Christchurch|
|Price (adult)||AUD $1845.00EUR €1285.00GBP £1105.00|
|Valid||31 March 2014 - 30 March 2015|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Christchurch
Arrive early and discover Christchurch, the South Island’s remerging city. Explore pop up bars, cafes and restaurants and the exciting new city developments. The trip begins with a group welcome meeting at approximately 6pm.
Day 2 – Punakaiki
Leave the dry East Coast and cross the dividing range on the way to the lush, green West Coast. Watch as the countryside changes radically to reveal deep blue rivers springing from the steep mountainsides.
Days 3 and 4 – Franz Josef Glacier
Sit back and relax on a breathtaking drive along the coast, passing forests, lakes and hidden beaches. Arrive in Franz Josef and choose from an array of optional activities such as a guided hike across a glacier, kayaking, taking a spin on a quad bike or enjoying unrivalled views of the region on a scenic flight (optional and own expense).
Days 5 to 8 – Queenstown
Soak up mountain vistas, meandering rivers and glassy lakes while travelling to Queenstown. Be sure to have space on your camera’s memory card as there'll be countless photo opportunities along the way. Queenstown will spoil you for choice as the undisputed adventure capital of New Zealand. Jet boat, bungee jump, paraglide and kayak before taking time out on the Skyline Gondola (all activities apart from the Gondola trip are at own expense).
Day 9 - Doubtful Sound
We drive through to Doubtful Sound to go aboard your overnight cruise boat for a fantastic trip through the fjords. This place is stunning with tall mountain peaks and waterfalls, truly one of the most spectacular places in the country. (four berth cabins aboard the ship. No upgrade available for cruise night).
Day 10 – Mount Cook
Be dwarfed by spectacular Aoraki (Mt Cook) which, at an impressive 3,754 m (12,316 ft), is the highest mountain in New Zealand. Explore meadows, lakes, streams and glaciers which shelter the world's only alpine parrot, the kea.
Day 11 – Christchurch
Today we return back to Christchurch where it will be time to say farewell to new friends. Perhaps choose to celebrate the end of this South Island adventure with a group dinner!
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Jailhouse Hostel, Christchurch 7.30am day 2
Arrival location : Jailhouse Hostel Christchurch early evening day 11.
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced guide
- 9 nights lodge style accommodation and 1 night overnight boat cruise. Please note upgrade rooms are not available on overnight Cruise due to room restrictions, all rooms are quad share.
- Meals are not included*
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Swimming gear
- Hat & sunscreen
- Motion sickness tablets
- Water bottle
- Towel and toiletries
- Warm clothing and waterproof jacket,
- Insect repellent
- Money for meal kitty*
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions and weather extremes. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Tour is operated by our tour partner Trek Tracks.
- The overnight boat tour on day nine may need to be substituted to a day boat tour during winter departures.
- It is your responsibility to advise Adventure Tours Australia if you have any special dietary requirements or medical conditions (including allergies) well ahead of departure.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 20kg applies.
- *We operate an optional kitty on all New Zealand Explorer tours. Passengers are encouraged to contribute to a central fund which is used to buy groceries which then supply meals to the entire group. Passengers with special dietary requirements may prefer to opt out but can in most cases be catered for easily. The kitty is administered by the group and your leader will collect the food kitty payment NZ$15 per day. Food kitty money will cover most meals. Some nights the group may decide to eat out which is extra (approx. NZ$15 – NZ$25). We will provide all cooking equipment and everyone will take turns in the buying, preparation and cooking of group meals.