At the end of the 22 days exploring New Zealand you won't want to leave! Get the full taste of New Zealand covering both North and South islands in our fully equipped coach. We depart from the country's largest city, Auckland. Stay in dorm share accommodation as we serve up adventure after adventure. Hike the Whangarei Falls and fall in love with the picture-perfect Bay of Islands. Relax in the thermal hot springs of Rotorua and before crossing from North Island to South at Wellington in to Nelson. Take the opportunity to try out bungy jumping or instead settle for a jet boat ride in the Huka Falls. The tour concludes in Christchurch. As this tour is made up of three individual trips you may have a different guide at each stage. This is the upgrade version of the 22 Day NZ Explorer Northbound.To see the original trip click here.
Max Passengers: 15
AUD $4225.00EUR €2940.00GBP £2530.00
|Route||Christchurch to Auckland|
|Price (adult)||AUD $4225.00EUR €2940.00GBP £2530.00|
|Valid||31 March 2014 - 30 March 2015|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Christchurch
Arrive early and discover why Christchurch is known as the 'Garden City'. Visit Hagley Park or hire a punt and glide down the Avon River. Our trip begins with a welcome meeting at approximately 6pm.
Day 2 – Punakaiki
Leave the big city behind and head over the Canterbury Plains on to Punakaiki, located on New Zealand's wild West Coast. This town is known for its nearby beautiful national park.
Days 3 and 4 – Franz Josef Glacier
Sit back and relax on a breathtaking drive along the coast, passing forests, lakes and hidden beaches. Arrive in Franz Josef and choose from an array of optional activities here. Join a guided hike across the glacier, go for a kayak, take a spin on a quad bike or enjoy unrivalled views of the region on a scenic flight (optional activities own expense).
Days 5 to 8 - Queenstown
Soak up mountain vistas, meandering rivers and glassy lakes while travelling to Queenstown. Be sure to have space on your camera’s memory card as there'll be countless photo opportunities along the way. Then be spoilt for choice in the undisputed adventure capital of New Zealand. Jet boat, bungee jump, mountain bike, paraglide and kayak around Queenstown before taking time out on the Skyline Gondola (all activities apart from the Gondola trip are at own expense). There is also a huge variety of shops, restaurants and fun things to see in town.
Day 9 - Doubtful Sound
We drive through to Doubtful Sound to go aboard your overnight cruise boat for a fantastic trip through the fjords. This place is stunning with tall mountain peaks, waterfalls, and is one of the most spectacular places in the country. Sure to be one of your trip highlights. (Four berth cabins aboard the ship. No upgrade available for cruise night)
Day 10 – Mt Cook
Be dwarfed by spectacular Aoraki (Mt Cook) which, at an impressive 3,754 m (12,316 ft), is the highest mountain in New Zealand. Explore meadows, lakes, streams and glaciers which shelter the world's only alpine parrot, the kea.
Day 11 – Christchurch
This morning at Mt Cook we hope to catch a view of this spectacular mountain and hike some of the lower trails. There are wonderful lake views and photo opportunities galore. We then return to Christchurch and further explore this picture-perfect city.
Day 12 – Kaikoura
Departing Christchurch, we head out to sea and spot whales off the coast of Kaikoura, a town famous for its fresh seafood and marine life.
Days 13 and 14 – Nelson
Today we journey to Nelson, in the heart of wine making country. Bushwalking tracks among these gorgeous inlets and coves are just begging to be explored. It is also possible to fit in a spot of fishing, take a winery tour or perhaps just wander through the eclectic range of shops in Nelson.
Days 15 and 16 – Wellington
Enjoy a cruise through the spectacular Marlborough Sounds on a ferry between the North and South Island. Explore Wellington's buzzing cafe scene or ride a cable car to the Botanic Gardens, taking in spectacular views of the city and harbour.
Day 17 – Mt Ruapehu
Today we visit the impressive Mt Ruapehu. Perhaps hike the famous Tongariro Crossing track or take a different route through the lower forest. If you’re feeling adventurous, activities like skiing and snowboarding are available during the winter months.
Day 18 – Taupo to Rotorua
Marvel at Huka Falls and take the opportunity to bungee or jet boat in Taupo - the North Island's home of extreme sports (own expense). Rotorua's geysers, bubbling mud pools and volcanic cliffs are shaped by seismic forces.
Day 19 – Rotorua
Discover Waitomo, famous for its limestone caves, glow worms and blackwater rafting. This is an unforgettable trip involving hiking and descending an underground river floating on an inner tube (own expense).
Day 20 - Waitomo - Bay of Islands
We leave Waitomo and drive north through fantastic scenery. There are beautiful beaches and unspoiled places to explore.
Day 21 - Bay of Islands
The Bay of Islands is one of New Zealand’s top holiday destinations. 144 islands in total, this boating paradise enjoys a sub-tropical climate. Today we have a host of available activities including kayaking, a boat trip to the islands or just relaxing. Visit the village of Russell for a look into NZ´s interesting past.
Day 22 – Auckland
We make our way back South passing unspoiled beaches and lush forests. The final leg of our adventure takes us to Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city. Enjoy crossing the harbor bridge with a great view of the 'City of Sails'.
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Jailhouse Hostel, Christchurch 7.30am day 2
Arrival location : Kiwi International Hotel, Auckland evening of Day 22
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced guide
- 20 nights lodge style accommodation and 1 night overnight boat cruise
- meals are not included *
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Swimming gear
- Hat & sunscreen
- Motion sickness tablets
- Water bottle
- Towel and toiletries
- Warm clothing and waterproof jacket,
- Insect repellent
- Money for meal kitty*
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions and weather extremes. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Tour is operated by our tour partner Trek Tracks.
- The overnight boat tour may need to be substituted to a day boat tour during winter departures.
- Adventure Tours Australia reserve the right to assess the fitness capability of passengers prior to tour departure.
- It is your responsibility to advise Adventure Tours Australia if you have any special dietary requirements or medical conditions (including allergies) well ahead of departure.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 20kg applies.
- *We operate an optional kitty on all New Zealand Explorer tours. Passengers are encouraged to contribute to a central fund which is used to buy groceries which then supply meals to the entire group. Passengers with special dietary requirements may prefer to opt out but can in most cases be catered for easily. The kitty is administered by the group and your leader will collect the food kitty payment NZ$15 per day. Food kitty money will cover most meals. Some nights the group may decide to eat out which is extra (approx. $15 – $25). We will provide all cooking equipment and everyone will take turns in the buying, preparation and cooking of group meals.