The highlights of this trip include 4WD adventures, learning about Aboriginal culture, visiting Gunlom Falls as well as the breathtaking Jim Jim Falls in Kakadu National Park. We visit Litchfield National Park as well as the beautiful Katherine Gorge. You’ll have the chance to go croc-spotting on a wildlife boat trip and you’ll sleep under the stars of the top end in either a tent or in a swag (Aussie bedroll). This tour starts and ends in Darwin and runs over five days and four nights.
Max Passengers: 21
AUD $995.00EUR €685.00GBP £575.00
|Route||Darwin to Darwin|
|Price (adult)||AUD $995.00EUR €685.00GBP £575.00|
|Valid||31 March 2015 - 30 March 2016|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Darwin to Kakadu
DEFAULT PICK UP: Melaleuca on Mitchell, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:50am.
Leaving Darwin, we travel into Wulna Country and receive a Cul Cul or unique 'Welcome to Country' by the traditional owners of the land, the Limilngan –Wulna people. They'll share with us their local Aboriginal culture with bush tucker talks, didgeridoo demonstrations, basket weaving and spear throwing^. Next stop is the Mary River wetlands system, with the highest concentration of saltwater crocodiles in the southern hemisphere. Get close (but not too close) to 'salties' and other wild creatures on a unique billabong cruise. We arrive at history rich Ubirr in time for sunset. You will see vivid Aboriginal rock art that dates back over 20,000 years. Then we head to our overnight camp in Kakadu. (LD)
Day 2 – Kakadu
It's an early start this morning as we travel to Twin Falls, getting in some 4WD action along the way. The spectacular gorge is experienced onboard a National Park operated boat cruise and a walk along the boardwalk. Unwind and relax for a bit on the sandy banks before we head to explore Jim Jim Falls. (Twin and Jim Jim Falls not available year round; subject to seasonal availability^^). First we have a quick lunch break and then take in the views of this 200m natural wonder before taking the challenging walk to the base where you can choose to swim or relax on the beautiful beach. This is really a site to admire and not rush so we spend the whole afternoon enjoying the spectacular scenery and waterholes before making the short drive to our overnight bush camp. (BLD)
Day 3 – Kakadu to Katherine Gorge
With more amazing waterfalls to experience we either head to Maguk and cool off with a dip in the plunge pools, or hike to the top of Gunlom Falls for a swim and the breathtaking view of the escarpment country. After lunch we visit the historic gold-mining centre of Pine Creek, before heading further south and settling in for the night at our private campsite on the doorstep of Nitmuluk National Park. (BLD)
Day 4 –Katherine GorgeWe spend the morning at the majestic Katherine Gorge in Nitmiluk National Park. Relax and enjoy the serenity. Want to see more? Take a cruise along the gorge or rent a canoe and paddle yourself downstream. These options are seasonal and at your own expense. Next we head off to Edith Falls where you can cool down with another refreshing swim. Settle down for the night in a comfortable camp with your group. (BLD)
Day 5 – Litchfield to Darwin
Filled with waterholes and waterfalls, Litchfield National Park is well deserving of all its hype and the perfect place to soak up the tranquility of the tropics. Exploring Litchfield is the perfect way to complete this tour, visiting Florence Falls, Wangi Falls and the Buley Rockholes. Enjoy a picnic lunch, stroll through steamy rainforests and cool off with a dip in one of Litchfield's picture perfect swimming holes. As with all good things, this Top End tour must come to an end. Hit the road and head back to Darwin to enjoy an optional night on the town toasting your adventure with new friends. (BL)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Darwin accommodation from 06:20am. Default pick up: Melaleuca on Mitchell at 06:50am (52 Mitchell St, Darwin).
Arrival location : Darwin accommodation early evening day 5.
Apr-Oct: Mon Wed Sat
- Experienced tour guide
- wildlife cruise
- Pudakul Aboriginal cultural experience
- national park entrance fees
- meals as indicated
- accommodation transfers
- 4 nights camping fees & equipment
What to bring
- sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- swimming gear
- hat & sunscreen
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- sleeping bag (can be purchased for AUD$30)
• ^^Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, and traditional owner/national park requirements. Note that the opening dates of waterfalls (including Twin and Jim Jim Falls) and attractions vary each year and can change on a daily basis in the wet and shoulder seasons. Visit this website to see live updates on which areas of the park will be open: http://kakaduroadreport.wordpress.com/ or contact our Reservations team. Due to National Park rules and road laws, we cannot guarantee the opening of Twin and Jim Jim Falls and other attractions at any time. Alternative activities will be substituted at the tour guides' discretion, dependent on local conditions. See terms and conditions of travel for full details.
• ^The Aboriginal Wulna-Limilngan cultural experience is only available during the dry season (approximately Apr-Oct) as site is subject to flooding (contact our Reservations team for availability). Participants may be absent due to cultural commitments with minimal prior notification and Adventure Tours Australia reserves the right to amend the itinerary in these circumstances with no obligation to refund.
• Children aged 8-12 are eligible for a 10% off child rate. Must quote promo code 10699 at time of booking.
• Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to your tour guide before departure.
• This trip may sometimes be combined with our 3 day Kakadu Unleashed trip (PNTKU3). Day 3 of this itinerary is at the leaders discretion and we may visit either Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) or Gunlom Falls.
• A STRICT luggage limit of 10kg in a soft bag applies. Excess should remain in storage at your Darwin accommodation.
• This tour requires a sleeping bag. You may bring your own or pre-purchase a sleeping bag from us.
• It is your responsibility to advise us if you have any special dietary requirements, allergies, or medical conditions well ahead of departure.
• From October to March it is likely that you will experience temperatures of over 35 degrees Celsius, and sometimes well into the 40's. Be prepared to endure extra physical stress due to the heat at these times, especially while on walks. These extreme temperatures can also place stress on the air-conditioning units within our vehicles which can make travelling uncomfortable. Your tour guide will assist with regular breaks and information to assist keeping hydrated. Please come prepared for all extremes.
• The default pick up point is where we will meet you for your tour, unless you or your travel agent requests an alternative location (contact our Reservations team for more information). It is your responsibility to contact us with your preferred pick up point well ahead of departure. We do not take responsibility for missed tours if we have not been advised of an alternative in advance and you are not at the default location on time.
• B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.