You'll have the chance to go croc-spotting on a wildlife boat trip and you'll sleep under the stars of the top end in either a tent or in a swag (Aussie bedroll). Other highlights of this trip include a 4WD adventure and visiting the fantastic Gunlom Falls and the breathtaking Jim Jim Falls in Kakadu National Park.
Max Passengers: 16
AUD $815.00EUR €565.00GBP £485.00
|Route||Darwin to Darwin|
|Price (adult)||AUD $815.00EUR €565.00GBP £485.00|
|Valid||31 March 2014 - 30 March 2015|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Darwin to Mary River
DEFAULT PICK UP: Adventure Tours Australia Shop, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:50am.
Leaving Darwin, we journey south to the beautiful Litchfield National Park where we visit waterfalls that flow all year round. Take a refreshing swim under their powerful force during lunch before we travel into Wulna Country and receive a Cul Cul or unique 'Welcome to Country' by the traditional owners of the land, the Limilngan –Wulna people. They'll share with us their local Aboriginal culture with bush tucker talks, didgeridoo lessons, basket weaving and spear throwing.
We finish the day in the spectacular Mary River Wetlands where the exotic birds are not the only wildlife to see. Keep a watch for lurking crocodiles on an afternoon river cruise. Climb into your sleeping bag for a well-earned rest at our secluded Mary River camping spot. (LD)
Day 2 – Mary River to Kakadu
Today we head to Kakadu National Park, World Heritage listed for its natural features and for being the home of the world's oldest living culture. Discover ancient Aboriginal rock art at Ubirr before climbing to the top of a rocky lookout for views over the Nardab floodplain. Next we head to Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) where a hike is rewarded with a reviving swim in the plunge pools. Tonight we stay at our permanent camp in Kakadu National Park. (BLD)
Day 3 – Kakadu to Katherine Gorge
Get ready for some 4WD action today as we make our way to Jim Jim Falls, the crown of Kakadu and certain to be one of our trip highlights. Once we get there, we'll take in the views of this 200m natural wonder before continuing on to Twin Falls. (Twin and Jim Jim Falls not available year round; subject to seasonal availability*). See the beauty of the gorge and feel the force from the waterfalls from a national park operated boat and boardwalk experience.
Visit the historic gold-mining centre of Pine Creek before travelling further south and settling in for the night at our private campsite on the doorstep of Nitmuluk National Park. Fall asleep listening to the chatter of the outback night. (BLD)
Day 4 –Katherine Gorge to Darwin
Depending on the season, embark on a cruise along the tranquil waters of Katherine Gorge or take the chance to head out by canoe (both activities are optional at own expense) and look up at rock walls that reach up to 70 m high. Formed by the Katherine River flowing from Arnhem Land to the Timor Sea, this 23 million-year-old natural marvel is truly breathtaking. Later in the day, head north across the sun baked outback, stopping for another refreshing dip along the way - this time by the cascading Edith Falls. Hit the road and head back to Darwin to enjoy a night on the town toasting your adventure with new friends. (BL)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Darwin accommodation from 06:20am Default pick up: Adventure Tours Australia shop at 06:50am (Shop 2/ 52 Mitchell St, Darwin)
Arrival location : Darwin accommodation early evening day 4
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- permanent campsites
- three nights camping fees and equipment
- Experienced tour guide
- Aboriginal cultural experience
- meals as indicated
- accommodation transfers
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes
- swimming gear
- hat and sunscreen
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- *Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. Note that the opening dates of waterfalls (including Twin and Jim Jim Falls) and attractions vary each year and can change on a daily basis in the wet and shoulder seasons. Visit this website to see live updates on which areas of the park will be open, or contact our Reservations team: http://kakaduroadreport.wordpress.com/ Due to National Park rules and road laws, we cannot guarantee the opening of Twin and Jim Jim Falls and other attractions at any time. Alternative activities will be substituted at the tour guides' discretion, dependant on local conditions. See terms and conditions for full details.
- This tour requires a sleeping bag. You may bring your own with you or pre purchase a sleeping bag from us.
- *The Aboriginal Wulna-Limilngan cultural experience is only available during the dry season (Apr-Oct) as site is subject to flooding (contact our customer service team for availability). Participants may be absent due to cultural commitments with minimal prior notification and Adventure Tours Australia reserves the right to amend the itinerary in these circumstances with no obligation to refund.
- From October to March it is likely that you will experience temperatures of over 35 degrees Celsius, and sometimes well into the 40’s. Be prepared to endure extra physical stress due to the heat at these times, especially while on walks. These extreme outside temperatures can also place stress on the air-conditioning units within our vehicles which can make travelling uncomfortable. Your tour guide will assist with regular breaks and information to assist keeping hydrated.
- Children aged 8-12 are eligible for a 10% off child rate. Must quote promo code 10699 at time of booking.
- Travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- It is your responsibility to advise Adventure Tours Australia if you have any special dietary requirements or medical conditions (including allergies) well ahead of departure.
- It is you or your clients’ responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. Please contact our inside sales teams for information on other available pick up points. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed on this document. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 10kg applies for all Kakadu Tours.