Enjoy the finest that camping has to offer with this 4WD Safari tour through the top end. Access parts of the country that other vehicles cannot with our specially-equipped 4WDs. Starting in Darwin we head to Kakadu National Park where you can see some amazing Aboriginal art at Ubirr before croc-spotting on a wildlife boat trip. Stay overnight in a luxury bush tent and have a host prepare your meals. Visit Katherine Gorge and and marvel at the Twin Falls while relaxing with your tour group and take a visit to Litchfield National Park. The adventure ends back in Darwin on day four.
Max Passengers: 15
AUD $995.00EUR €690.00GBP £595.00
|Route||Darwin to Darwin|
|Price (adult)||AUD $995.00EUR €690.00GBP £595.00|
|Valid||31 March 2014 - 30 March 2015|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Darwin to Mary River
DEFAULT PICK UP: Adventure Tours Australia Shop, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:50am
Leaving Darwin, our journey begins by travelling south to Litchfield National Park where we experience thebreathtaking waterfalls that flow all year round. There’s time to take a swim and to enjoy lunch before wecontinue onto Wulna Country where we receive a Cul Cul or unique ‘Welcome to Country’ by the traditionalowners of the land, the Limilngan-Wulna people*.
Experience the local Aboriginal culture with bush tuckertalks, learning to play the didgeridoo, basket weaving and spear throwing. We finish the day in thespectacular Mary River Wetlands, where the exotic birds are not the only wildlife to see. - keep a watch forlurking crocodiles on an afternoon river cruise! After a fun and activity filled day, you’ll enjoy a rest at outMary River camping spot. (LD)
Day 2 – Mary River to Kakadu
Today we head to Kakadu National Park, World Heritage listed for its stunning natural features and for beingthe home of the world's oldest living culture. Discover ancient Aboriginal rock art at Ubirr before climbing tothe top of a rocky lookout for views over the Nardab floodplain. Don’t forget to bring your camera! Next wehead to Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) where the hike is rewarded with a reviving swim in the plunge pools.Tonight we stay at our permanent camp in Kakadu National Park. (BLD)
Day 3 – Kakadu to Katherine
Get ready for some 4WD adventure action today as we make our way to Jim Jim Falls, the crown of Kakadu.You’ll need a moment to take in the views of the 200m natural wonder before we continue on to Twin Falls. (Twin and Jim Jim Falls not available year round; subject to seasonal availability*). See the beauty of the stunning gorge and feel the powerful falls from a national park operated boat andboardwalk experience. Head south to the historic gold-mining centre of Pine Creek and settle in for the nightat our private campsite on the doorstep of Nitmuluk National Park. Fall asleep listening to the chatter of theoutback night. (BLD)
Day 4 –Katherine Gorge to Darwin
Depending on the season, embark on a cruise along the tranquil waters of Katherine Gorge or take the chance to head out by canoe (both activities are optional at own expense) and peer up at rock walls that reach up to 70 m high. Formed by the Katherine River flowing from Arnhem Land to the Timor Sea, this 23 million-year-old natural marvel is truly breathtaking.
Later in the day, head north across the sun baked outback, stopping for another refreshing dip along the way - this time by the cascading Edith Falls. Hit the road and head back to Darwin to enjoy a night on the town toasting your adventure with new friends. (BL)
Seasonal itinerary changes
TROPICAL SUMMER ITINERARY (Nov/ Dec-May)
Day 1 – Litchfield National Park | Cathedral Termite Mounds | Overnight camp. (LD)
Day 2 – Mamukala Wetlands (seasonal) | Wildlife Cruise | Ubirr or Nourlangie Rock (seasonal) | Walk to Gubara Springs | Overnight camp Kakadu. (BLD)
Day 3 – Gunlom Falls or Motor Car Falls (seasonal) | Warradjan Culture Centre | Return to Darwin. (BL)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Darwin accommodation from 06:20am. Default pick up: Adventure Tours Australia shop at 06:50am (Shop 2/52 Mitchell St, Darwin).
Arrival location : Darwin accommodation early evening day 4
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Twin share safari accommodation (including proper beds, linen, pillows, towels & fans)
- experienced tour guide and host**
- meals as indicated
- national park fees
- accommodation transfers
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- swimming gear
- hat & sunscreen
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- *Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. Note that the opening dates of waterfalls (including Twin and Jim Jim Falls) and attractions vary each year and can change on a daily basis in the wet and shoulder seasons. Visit this website to see live updates on which areas of the park will be open, or contact our Reservations team: http://kakaduroadreport.wordpress.com/ Due to National Park rules and road laws, we cannot guarantee the opening of Twin and Jim Jim Falls and other attractions at any time. Alternative activities will be substituted at the tour guides' discretion, dependant on local conditions. See terms and conditions for full details.
- *The Aboriginal Wulna-Limilngan cultural experience is only available during the dry season (Apr-Oct) as site is subject to flooding (contact our customer service team for availability). Participants may be absent due to cultural commitments with minimal prior notification and Adventure Tours Australia reserves the right to amend the itinerary in these circumstances with no obligation to refund.
- **A host will accompany the guide with a minimum of 8 passengers.
- From October to March it is likely that you will experience temperatures of over 35 degrees Celsius, and sometimes well into the 40’s. Be prepared to endure extra physical stress due to the heat at these times, especially while on walks. These extreme outside temperatures can also place stress on the air-conditioning units within our vehicles which can make travelling uncomfortable. Your tour guide will assist with regular breaks and information to assist keeping hydrated.
- Children aged 8-12 are eligible for a 10% off child rate. Must quote promo code 10699 at time of booking.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 10kg applies for all Kakadu Tours. Excess baggage should be stored at your Darwin accommodation.
- Travel insurance is compulsory and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- It is your responsibility to advise Adventure Tours Australia/Intrepid if you have any special dietary requirements or medical conditions (including allergies) well ahead of departure.
- It is you or your clients’ responsibility to contact Adventure Tours/Intrepid with your preferred accommodation pick up point. Please contact our inside sales teams for information on other available pick up points. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed on this document. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.