From the Top End to the Kimberley, this adventure will give you a great taste of the Northern Territory and Northern Western Australia. Travelling along the Gibb River Road in a 4WD adventure, we'll take you to Bungle Bungle National Park, El Questro Station, Kimberley Gorges, Lake Argyle, Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge. This tour is only for fit and active people, who can hike 5-9kms a day over uneven terrain, often in high temperatures. Temperatures can be extreme i.e. very high during summer days and very cold during winter nights. Adventure Tours reserves the right to assess the fitness capability of passengers prior to tour departure. Tour is not suitable for children. Due to the remote nature of the Kimberley region we use bush camps with limited facilities on some nights.
There is a STRICT LUGGAGE LIMIT of 15kgs per person, in a backpack or soft bag.
Max Passengers: 20
AUD $1950.00EUR €1485.00GBP £1235.00
|Route||Darwin to Broome|
|Price (adult)||AUD $1950.00EUR €1485.00GBP £1235.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Darwin to Katherine Region
DEFAULT PICK UP: Adventure Tours Australia Shop, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:50am
Heading down from Darwin, we stop at either Edith Falls for a swim, or explore majestic Katherine (Nitmiluk) Gorge, part of the Nitmiluk National Park, depending on season. After lunch we start our journey to the Katherine region where we will stay overnight. (LD)
Day 2 – Katherine Region to Lake Argyle
Take off for Lake Argyle; an artificial lake created by the Ord River Dam. Admire the beauty and sheer size of this 700 square kilometre man made spectacle. The lake is home to many species of native fish and thousands of freshwater crocodiles. Take some time and explore the area before we set up camp for the night. (BLD)
Day 3 – Lake Argyle to Bungle Bungles
Time for some 4WD action as we wind our way into the Bungle Bungle sandstone massif! The ride in is bumpy, but the scenery is fantastic and you will have the chance to enjoy your first Kimberley sunset as we set up our bush camp. (BLD)
Day 4 – Bungle Bungles
Prepare for a full day of exploration today. The rock formations of the Bungle Bungles are remarkable and we visit breathtaking Echidna Chasm and magnificent Cathedral Gorge. For passengers that are looking for a truly spectacular experience, there is the opportunity to view the Bungles by helicopter (at your own expense), before we return to camp. (BLD)
Day 5 – Bungle Bungles to El Questro
We leave the Bungles and make our way to El Questro Station. Sit back and admire the awesome scenery of the Carr Boyd and Durack Ranges as we head to Turkey Creek and onto El Questro to set up camp. (BLD)
Day 6 – El Questro Station to Gibb River Road
An early start today, with a hike into the beautiful Cockburn Ranges and a refreshing swim under the waterfall at Emma Gorge. Relax and enjoy some lunch before we start our journey over the Pentecost River and along the Gibb River Road. (BLD)
Day 7 – Gibb River Road
Today is all about swimming and hiking in the Kimberleys! You’ll visit striking Manning Gorge, and if time permits, Barnett Gorge as well. Your experienced guide will use their local knowledge to determine the most accessible spots to visit. Tonight’s camp is at Manning Gorge. (BLD)
Day 8 – Manning Gorge to Windjana Gorge
This morning we will explore either Galvins or Adcock Gorge, depending on the time of year. Later we make our way to Windjana Gorge, known for its abundant freshwater crocodiles, so bring your camera and get some snaps of these incredible reptiles. Windjana Gorge is also our camp for the night. (BLD)
Day 9 – Windjana Gorge to Broome
A visit to the Napier Range reveals the fascinating 750 metre underground cave at Tunnel Creek; an area rich in bushranger history. Next we set off for Broome, but not before stopping briefly at Willare Bridge to see the rushing torrent of water that flows along the mighty Fitzroy River (seasonal). We arrive in Broome late afternoon. With any luck you’ll be just in time to catch a brilliant Cable Beach sunset. (BL)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Darwin accommodation from 06:20am. Default pick up: Adventure Tours Australia shop at 06:50am (Shop 2/52 Mitchell St, Darwin).
Arrival location : Broome accommodation evening day 9.
Departs from Darwin:
Apr: 13 20 27
May: 04 11 18 25
Jun: 01 05 08 15 19 22 26 29
Jul: 03 06 10 13 20 24 27
Aug: 03 07 10 17 21 24 31
Sep: 07 11 14 21 28
Oct: 05 12 19
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced tour guide
- meals as indicated
- National Park fees
- camping fees & equipment
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- hat & sunscreen
- towel & toiletries
- swimming gear
- warm clothing in winter
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- sleeping bag (can be purchased for $30).
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions substituted for any reason including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. See terms and conditions for full details.
- This tour is only for fit and active people, who can hike 5-9kms a day over uneven terrain, often in high temperatures. Some hikes may require small sections of walking through water or swimming. Temperatures can be extreme; very high during summer days and very cold during winter nights.
- Tour is NOT suitable for children.
- Adventure Tours Australia reserves the right to assess the fitness of passengers prior to tour departure.
- Travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to your tour guide before departure.
- Due to the remote nature of the Kimberley region we use bush camps with limited facilities on some nights.
- Tour must be reconfirmed 48hrs prior to departure by phone on 1300 654 604 (within Australia).
- It is your responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed in the itinerary and the PDF document on the website. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.
- B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.