This Darwin to Alice Springs adventure will give you a great Top End experience exploring Kakadu National Park and Jim Jim Falls all the way down to the Red Centre in Alice Springs. Take a hike through Litchfield National Park before heading down South with a stop over at everyone favourite Daly Waters pub for the night. This tour also visits Katherine Gorge, Mary River Wetlands and Twin Falls. If you're fascinated by art, you'll enjoy learning more about the Aboriginal rock art from the Northern Territory.
Max Passengers: 24
AUD $890.00EUR €740.00GBP £600.00
|Route||Darwin to Alice Springs|
|Price (adult)||AUD $890.00EUR €740.00GBP £600.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Darwin to Litchfield National Park
DEFAULT PICK UP: Adventure Tours Australia Shop, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:50am.
Leaving cosmopolitan Darwin, we journey south to beautiful Litchfield National Park, where we experience the stunning waterfalls that flow all year round. Take a refreshing swim and enjoy lunch before we travel into Wulna Country and receive a Cul Cul or unique ‘Welcome to Country’ by the traditional owners of the land, the Limilngan – Wulna people. Experience the local Aboriginal culture including bush tucker talks, playing the didgeridoo, basket weaving and spear throwing.* We finish the day in the spectacular Mary River Wetlands, where the exotic birds are not the only wildlife to see. Keep a watch for lurking crocodiles on an afternoon river cruise! Climb into your sleeping bag for a well earned rest at our secluded Mary River camping spot. (LD)
Day 2 – Mary River to Kakadu
Discover ancient Aboriginal rock art at Ubirr, our first stop this morning. Clamber to the top of a rocky lookout for fabulous views over the Nardab floodplain. Next it’s on to Maguk (Barramundi Gorge), where a hike is rewarded with a reviving swim in the plunge pools. Tonight we stay at our permanent camp within Kakadu National Park. (BLD)
Day 3 – Kakadu to Darwin
Get ready for some 4WD action today on our way to Jim Jim Falls! Once we get there, we’ll hike to the base of the falls before continuing on to Twin Falls. Feel the beauty of the stunning gorge and powerful falls from the National Park operated boat and boardwalk experience. Stop in at the Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre this afternoon to learn about local Indigenous culture. The impressive scenery will continue to amaze you as we journey back to Darwin in the afternoon. Overnight in Darwin dorm accommodation. (BL)
Day 4 – Darwin - Katherine Gorge – Daly Waters
PICK UP: Adventure Tours Australia Shop, 52 Mitchell St Darwin, 06:50am.
We depart from Darwin early and make our way to Nitmiluk National Park. Our first stop is the beautiful Edith Falls for a swim before heading to Katherine Gorge where your guide will take you on a short return walk to Baruwei Lookout. You can get a postcard shot of the gorge and learn about this stunning area and its significance to the local Jawoyn Aboriginal people. Once we finish exploring the gorge we continue our journey south to Daly Waters arriving in time for dinner and a beer at the historic Daly Waters Hotel - the territory’s oldest pub (own expense). Overnight dorm at Daly Waters pub.
Day 5 – Alice Springs
We continue our journey south passing through Tennant Creek and onto Karlu Karlu (Devils Marbles) where we have some time to explore the well-known marble shaped boulders, a site sacred to its traditional owners. There is also one last photo stop as we cross the tropic of Capricorn before finishing in the heart of the Red Centre, Alice Springs.
Seasonal itinerary changes
Activities at Katherine Gorge are seasonal and may not be available during the wet season.
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Darwin accommodation from 06:20am. Default pick up: Adventure Tours Australia shop at 06:50am (Shop 2/ 52 Mitchell St, Darwin).
Arrival location : Alice Springs accommodation early evening day 5
Tour departs: All Year: Wed (except 03 Apr 13)
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced tour guide
- Aboriginal cultural experience*
- national park entrance fee
- meals as indicated
- accommodation transfers
- 2 nights’camping fees and equipment, and 2 nights dorm accommodation with share facilities.
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- hat & sunscreen
- towel & toiletries
- water bottle
- insect repellent
- money for meals not included
- sleeping bag (can be purchased for $30).
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. See terms and conditions of travel for full details.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- *The Aboriginal Wulna-Limilngan cultural experience is only available during the dry season (Apr-Oct) as site is subject to flooding (contact our customer service team for availability). Participants may be absent due to cultural commitments with minimal prior notification and Adventure Tours Australia reserves the right to amend the itinerary in these circumstances with no obligation to refund.
- A tropical summer itinerary applies in Kakadu (Nov/Dec-May).
- Please note this trip has some long driving times between Darwin and Alice Springs. We recommend to bring a pillow, reading book, Ipod/MP3 player etc for personal entertainment on the long drives.
- This is a packaged tour, therefore you may travel with a different guide and passengers on each section.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 10kg applies on Kakadu Safaris and 15kg applies between Darwin and Alice Springs.
- B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner
- Tour must be reconfirmed 48hrs prior to departure by phone on 1300 654 604 (within Australia).
- It is your responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed in the itinerary and the PDF document on the website. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.