This tour will Start and end in Tasmania's capital, Hobart. At the end of the six days you will have a a great taste of what the island state is all about. Pay a visit to the Bay of Fires, Wineglass Bay Henty Sand Dunes and Freycinet National Park. Take in a bit of culture as you learn about the county's convict history at Port Arthur Historic Site and, if you're lucky, catch penguins along the way as well. This tour has two night dorm share accommodation.
Max Passengers: 24
AUD $795.00EUR €685.00GBP £525.00
|Route||Hobart to Hobart|
|Price (adult)||AUD $795.00EUR €685.00GBP £525.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Hobart to Strahan
DEFAULT PICK UP: Montgomery’s YHA, 07:00am
Our journey begins as we traverse the island from east to west. Escaping Hobart through the Derwent Valley, we walk in the land of the giants and admire the beauty of Russell Falls and Mt Field National Park. Visit Lake St Clair, Australia’s deepest freshwater lake before we enter the temperate time capsule that is the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. End the day in Strahan beside Macquarie Harbour where we stay for 2 nights. Our West Coast hosts welcome us with a BBQ dinner. (D)
Day 2 – Strahan and surrounding area
Discover the wild west coast today with a visit to Ocean Beach and the Henty Sand Dunes. Search for elusive whale bones amongst the shifting sands or simply breathe in the freshest air in the world. Today is a day of options. You can stroll by the foreshore of the harbour, walk amongst the rainforest to a waterfall, take a cruise on the famous Gordon River, or enjoy a scenic sea plane flight over the Gordon and Franklin River system — complete with a river landing and walk. You can also journey up the King River on a jet boat or peacefully paddle a kayak in the harbour. (Strahan optional activities at own expense, some activities are seasonal and not available year round). (B)
Day 3 – Cradle Mountain to Launceston
Today we journey 950m above sea level to Cradle Valley, our gateway to the World Heritage Area of Cradle Mountain National Park. We share some local knowledge and interpretation of the landscape to help you choose a walk that will enhance your experience here. With an extensive range of tracks, you will be able to take it easy with a stroll around Dove Lake or one of the many boardwalk tracks, or perhaps challenge yourself with a hike to Marion’s Lookout. Next we take a short drive to Sheffield, ‘the town of murals’, before continuing on to Launceston; Australia’s third oldest city and our overnight stop. (B)
Day 4 – Launceston to Bicheno
PICK UP DAY 4: Launceston Backpackers, 07:30am
Enjoy a morning walk at Cataract Gorge in the heart of Launceston before we make our way to the East Coast and the beautiful Bay of Fires. Here we stretch our legs and take some quality time to enjoy this highly recommended coastal region. The beaches are gleaming and the water inviting, so jump in and enjoy a swim if the weather permits. Enjoy Tasmania’s most scenic coastal drive from St Helen’s to Bicheno, where we stay tonight. This evening you can join a guided viewing of the Little Penguins as they return to their rookeries on the edges of this seaside village (optional, seasonal and at own expense). (B)
Day 5 – Freycinet National Park to Hobart
An early start means we are the first to the lookout, beating the crowds and the heat for that postcard photo of Wineglass Bay. Relax on the secluded beach or choose the more challenging Mt Amos or Hazzards Beach walk for your mornings Freycinet experience. This afternoon we take a break at the historical village of Ross where you can sample the local. Ross Bakery (own expense), or check out the convict built bridge. Come face to face with the iconic Tasmanian Devil during our stop at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, where we meet these now endangered native animals as well as some others unique to Tasmania. A short drive returns us to Hobart where we spend the night. (B,D)
Day 6 – Port Arthur Historic Site
Start the day with a quick look at Australia’s best preserved colonial village of Richmond, before heading south for magnificent views of the Tasman Peninsula and some features of the Tasman National Park. Explore Tasmania’s ruthless convict past today at the World Heritage Listed – Port Arthur Historic Site (guided walk and harbour cruise included). Rich in visual history, here we learn of the chilling realities of life as a convict amid the restored sandstone prison buildings and preserved ruins. (B)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Hobart accommodation from 07.00am. Default pick up: Montgomery’s YHA at 07:00am.
Arrival location : Hobart accommodation early evening day 6.
Apr, Oct: Mon* Tue Thu Sun
May – Sep: Mon* Thu Sun
Nov-Dec, Mar: Mon* Tue Thu Fri Sun
Jan - Feb: Mon* Tue Wed Thu Fri Sun
*Departures noted with an asterix are for 18-39 year olds.
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Meals as indicated
- All National Park Entry Fees ($36)
- Wildlife Sanctuary Entry Fee including Tasmanian Devil feeding.
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site including Guided Walk and Harbour Cruise.
- Hotel and Hostel pickups and drop offs
5 nights private HOSTEL room with share facilities:
Twin/Dbl: AUD $895 / €780 / ₤585
Single: AUD $1120 / €975 / ₤735
5 nights private MOTEL room with ensuite:
Twin/Dbl: AUD $1095 / €945 / ₤725
Single: AUD $1495 / €1285 / ₤990
- Penguin Tour
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Hat & sunscreen
- Towel & toiletries
- Swimming gear
- Warm clothing (even in summer)
- Waterproof jacket & trousers
- Water bottle
- Insect repellent,
- Travel Insurance is compulsory and must be shown to the guide on day 1.
- Monday departures are strictly for 18-39 year olds ONLY.
- All tours are accommodated and we offer HOSTEL (dorm or twin/dbl with shared facilities) or ensuite MOTEL/LODGE style (2-3 star ensuite). All twin/double rooms are subject to availability at time of booking. Motel/Lodge style may be located on different premises to hostel accommodation.
- Tour is operated by our touring partners Topdeck and Under Down Under.
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted due to seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.
- It is recommended passengers depart Hobart the following day after tour finishes. If flights are booked from Hobart Airport on day 6, they must depart on/after 7.30pm.
- Tours must be reconfirmed 48hrs prior to departure by phone on 1300 654 604 (within Australia).
- It is your responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed in the itinerary and the PDF document on the website. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.