This tour will Start and end in Tasmania's capital, Hobart. At the end of the six days you will have a a great taste of what the island state is all about. Pay a visit to the Bay of Fires, Wineglass Bay Henty Sand Dunes and Freycinet National Park. Take in a bit of culture as you learn about the county's convict history at Port Arthur Historic Site and, if you're lucky, catch penguins along the way as well. This tour has two night dorm share accommodation.
Max Passengers: 24
AUD $795.00EUR €545.00GBP £460.00
|Route||Hobart to Hobart|
|Price (adult)||AUD $795.00EUR €545.00GBP £460.00|
|Valid||31 March 2015 - 30 March 2016|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Hobart to Strahan
DEFAULT PICK UP: Montgomery’s YHA, 07:00am
Our journey begins as we cross the island from east to west. EscapingHobartthrough theDerwentValley, we walk in the land of the giants and admire the beauty ofRussellFallsand Mt Field National Park. VisitLake St Clair,Australia’s deepest freshwater lake before we enter the temperate time capsule that is theFranklin-GordonWildRiversNational Park. End the day in Strahan besideMacquarieHarbourwhere we stay for two nights. Our West Coast hosts welcome us with a BBQ dinner. (D)
Day 2 – Strahan and surrounding area
Discover the Wild West coast today with a visit toOceanBeachand the Henty Sand Dunes. Search for elusive whale bones amongst the shifting sands or simply breathe in the freshest air in the world. Today is a day of options. You can stroll by the foreshore of the harbour, walk amongst the rainforest to a waterfall, take a cruise on the famousGordonRiver, or enjoya scenic sea plane flight over the Gordon andFranklinRiversystem — complete with a river landing and walk. You can also journey up theKingRiveron a jet boat or peacefully paddle a kayak in the harbour. (Strahan optional activities at own expense, some activities are seasonal and not available year round). (B)
Day 3 – Cradle Mountain to Launceston
Today we journey 950m above sea level to Cradle Valley, our gateway to the World Heritage Area of Cradle Mountain National Park. We share some local knowledge and interpretation of the landscape to help you choose a walk to take. With an extensive range of tracks, you will be able to take it easy with a stroll around Dove Lake or one of the many boardwalk tracks, or perhaps challenge yourself with a hike to Marion’s Lookout. Next we take a short drive to Sheffield, ‘the town of murals’, before continuing on to Launceston; Australia’s third oldest city and our overnight stop. (B)
Day 4 – Launceston to Bicheno
PICK UP DAY 4: Launceston Backpackers, 07:30am
Enjoy a morning walk at Cataract Gorge in the heart of Launceston before we make our way to the East Coast and the beautifulBayofFires. Here we stretch our legs and take some quality time to enjoy this highly recommended coastal region. The beaches are gleaming and the water inviting, so jump in and enjoya swim if the weather permits. EnjoyTasmania’s most scenic coastal drive from St Helen’s to Bicheno, where we stay tonight. This evening you can join a guided viewing of the Little Penguins as they return to their rookeries on the edges of this seaside village (optional, seasonal and at own expense). (B)
Day 5 – Freycinet National Park to Hobart
An early start means we are the first to the lookout, beating the crowds and the heat for that postcard photo ofWineglassBay. Relax on the secluded beach or choose the more challenging Mt Amos orHazzardsBeachwalk for your morning Freycinet experience. This afternoon we make a quick stop at Kate’s Berry Farm before we come face to face with the iconic Tasmanian Devil during our stop at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, where we meet these now endangered native animals as well as some others unique toTasmania. A short drive returns us toHobartwhere we spend the night. (B)
Day 6 – Port Arthur Historic Site
Start the day with a quick look atAustralia’s best preserved colonialvillageofRichmond, before heading south for magnificent views of theTasmanPeninsula. ExploreTasmania’s ruthless convict history at the World HeritageListed Port Arthur Historic Site (guided walk and harbour cruise included). Rich in visual history, we learn of the chilling realities of life as a convict amid the restored sandstone prison buildings and preserved ruins. (B)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Hobart accommodation from 07.00am. Default pick up: Montgomery’s YHA at 07:00am.
Arrival location : Hobart accommodation early evening day 6.
Departure dates for this tour are currently not available online. We apologise for this inconvenience.
For more information on your tour's departure dates please consult our pdf brochure here,
or call us on 1300 654 604 (within Australia) or +61 (03) 8102 7800 (international).
- Meals as indicated
- All National Park Entry Fees
- Wildlife Sanctuary Entry Fee including Tasmanian Devil feeding.
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site including Guided Walk and Harbour Cruise.
- Hotel and Hostel pickups and drop offs
accommodation as below:
Standard Accommodation: 5 nights dorm accommodation with shared facilities
Upgrade Accommodation (subject to availability at the time of booking):
- Hostel option: 5 nights private room (twin, double, or single) with shared facilities
- Budget Motel (may be on different premises to dorm): 5 nights private ensuite (twin, double, or single)
Budget Motel (may be on different premises to dorm): 5 nights private ensuite (twin, dbl, or single).
Upgrade Accommodation (subject to availability at the time of booking):
Hostel option: 5 nights private room (twin, dbl, or single) with shared facilities
- Penguin Tour
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Hat & sunscreen
- Towel & toiletries
- Swimming gear (in summer)
- Warm clothing (even in summer)
- Waterproof jacket & trousers
- Water bottle
- Insect repellent,
- It is recommended passengers depart Hobart the following day after the tour finishes. If flights are booked from Hobart Airport on day three, they must depart on/after 7.30pm.
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, and traditional owner/national park requirements. Please see terms and conditions of travel for full details.
- This tour is operated by our touring partner Under Down Under.
- B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to your tour guide before departure.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.
- It is your responsibility to advise us if you have any special dietary requirements, allergies, or medical conditions well ahead of departure.
- The default pick up point is where we will meet you for your tour, unless you or your travel agent requests an alternative location (contact our Reservations team for more information). It is your responsibility to contact us with your preferred pick up point well ahead of departure. We do not take responsibility for missed tours if we have not been advised of an alternative in advance and you are not at the default location on time.