Max Passengers: 24
AUD $895.00EUR €745.00GBP £600.00
|Route||Launceston to Devonport, Launceston|
|Price (adult)||AUD $895.00EUR €745.00GBP £600.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Launceston to Bicheno
DEFAULT PICK UP: Launceston Backpackers, 07:30am
Enjoy a morning walk at Cataract Gorge in the heart of Launceston before we make our way to the East Coast and the beautiful Bay of Fires. Here we stretch our legs and take some quality time to enjoy this highly recommended coastal region. The beaches are gleaming and the water inviting, so jump in and enjoy a swim if the weather permits. Enjoy Tasmania’s most scenic coastal drive from St Helen’s to Bicheno, where we stay tonight. This evening you can join a guided viewing of the Little Penguins as they return to their rookeries on the edges of this seaside village (optional, seasonal and at own expense). (B)
Day 2 – Freycinet National Park to Hobart
We start early and climb to the lookout, beating the crowds and the heat for that postcard photo of Wineglass Bay. Relax on the secluded beach or choose the more challenging Mt Amos or Hazzards Beach walk. This afternoon we take a break at the picturesque historical village of Ross. Sample the local Ross Bakery (at your own expense), or check out the convict built bridge. Come face to face with the famous Tasmanian Devil as we make a stop at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary to meet these endangered native animals, as well as some other creatures that are unique to Tasmania. A short drive returns us to Hobart — our stop for the next three nights. (BD)
Day 3 – Pt Arthur historic site
Start the day with a quick look at Richmond, Australia’s best preserved colonial village, before we head south for magnificent views of the Tasman Peninsula. Explore the Tasman National Park and learn about Tasmania’s ruthless convict past at the World Heritage Listed Port Arthur Historic Site (guided walk and harbour cruise included). You’ll hear all about the chilling realities of life as a convict, amid the restored sandstone prison buildings and preserved ruins. After a busy day we return to Hobart for the night. (B)
Day 4 – Hobart and surrounds
Spend a day enjoying the sights of Tasmania’s capital city, Hobart. Some recommended activities include a Derwent River Cruise on a historical square rigger named the Lady Nelson, a tour of the Cascade Brewery or the Cadbury Chocolate Factory (week days only), half day bike hire, a visit to ‘Antarctic Adventure’ or a trip to the top of Mt Wellington. All meals and activities are subject to availability and are at your own expense. Overnight accommodation in Hobart is included.
Day 5 – Hobart to Strahan
PICK UP DAY 5: Montgomery’s YHA, 07:00am
Today we traverse the island from east to west. Leaving Hobart behind, we travel first through the Derwent Valley, then we take a walk in the land of the giants and admire the beauty of Russell Falls and Mt Field National Park. Next we visit Lake St Clair — Australia’s deepest freshwater lake. Enter the temperate time capsule that is the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. We end the day in Strahan beside Macquarie Harbour where we’ll spend the next two nights. Our West Coast host welcomes us with a BBQ dinner. (D)
Day 6 – Strahan and surrounding area
Discover the beauty of the wild west coast today with a visit to Ocean Beach and the Henty Sand Dunes. Search for elusive whale bones amongst the shifting sands or simply relax and breathe in the freshest air in the world. Today you have a range of options. Stroll by the foreshore of the harbour or walk amongst the rainforest to a waterfall. You can choose to cruise on the famous Gordon River, take a scenic sea plane flight over the Gordon and Franklin River system (complete with a river landing and walk), journey up the King River on a jet boat, or peacefully paddle in the harbour. Strahan optional activities are at your own expense and subject to availability. (B)
Day 7 – Cradle Mountain to Devonport or Launceston
Today we’ll climb 950m above sea level, to reach Cradle Valley — gateway to the World Heritage Area of Cradle Mountain National Park. After hearing about local knowledge of the landscape, you can choose a walk to suit your taste and fitness. There is an extensive range of walks available. Take it easy with a stroll around Dove Lake or take one of the many boardwalk tracks. Passengers looking for more of a challenge can tackle the hike to Marion’s Lookout. Next we’ll take a short drive to Sheffield, ‘the town of murals’, before continuing on through Devonport to Launceston. (B)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location: Select Launceston accommodation from 7:30am. Default pick up: Launceston Backpackers at 07:30am.
Arrival location: Devonport Ferry terminal, or Select Launceston accommodation early evening day 7.
Apr, Oct: Wed Thu* Fri Sun
May-Sep: Wed Thu* Sun
Nov-Dec, Mar: Mon Wed Thu* Fri Sun
Jan-Feb: Mon Wed Thu* Fri Sat Sun
*Departures noted with an asterix are for 18-39 year olds only.
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Meals as indicated
- All National Park Entry Fees ($36)
- Wildlife Sanctuary Entry Fee including Tasmanian Devil feeding.
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site including a Guided Walk and Harbour Cruise.
- Hotel and Hostel pickups and drop offs
6 nights private HOSTEL room with share facilities:
Twin/Dbl: AUD $1045 / €870 / ₤700
Single: AUD $1285 / €1070 / ₤865
6 nights private MOTEL room with ensuite:
Twin/Dbl: AUD $1255 / €1045 / ₤845
Single: AUD $1735 / €1445 / ₤1165
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Hat & sunscreen
- Towel & toiletries
- Swimming gear
- Warm clothing (even in summer)
- Waterproof jacket & trousers
- Water bottle
- Insect repellent
- Travel Insurance is compulsory and must be shown to the guide on day 1.
- Thursday departures are strictly for 19-39 year olds ONLY.
- All tours are accommodated and we offer HOSTEL (dorm or twin/dbl with shared facilities) or ensuite MOTEL/LODGE style (2-3 star ensuite). All twin/double rooms are subject to availability at time of booking. Motel/Lodge style may be located on different premises to hostel accommodation.
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Tour is operated by our touring partners Topdeck and Under Down Under.
- Tours must be reconfirmed 48hrs prior to departure by phone on 1300 654 604 (within Australia).
- It is your responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed in the itinerary and the PDF document on the website. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.