This top to tail tour departing from Launceston will let you explore both the East and West coasts of the isle state. Fall in love with the landscapes and beautiful scenery you'll find along the way, including the Bay of Fires, cradle Mountain National Park, Freycinet National Park, Lake St Clair and Mt Field National Park. Unwind in the Henty Sand Dunes and learn some Aussie history at the Port Arthur Historic Site. Accommodation is in dorm share hostels.
Max Passengers: 24
AUD $895.00EUR €620.00GBP £535.00
|Route||Launceston to Devonport, Launceston|
|Price (adult)||AUD $895.00EUR €620.00GBP £535.00|
|Valid||31 March 2014 - 30 March 2015|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Launceston to Bicheno
DEFAULT PICK UP: Launceston Backpackers, 07:30am
Enjoy a morning walk at Cataract Gorge in the heart of Launceston before we make our way tothe East Coast and the beautiful Bay of Fires. Here we stretch our legs and take some qualitytime to enjoy this highly recommended coastal region. The beaches are gleaming and thewater inviting, so jump in and enjoy a swim if the weather permits. Enjoy Tasmania’s mostscenic coastal drive from St Helen’s to Bicheno, where we stay tonight. This evening you canjoin a guided viewing of the Little Penguins as they return to their rookeries on the edges ofthis seaside village (optional, seasonal and at own expense). (B)
Day 2 – Freycinet National Park to Hobart
An early start means we are the first to the lookout, beating the crowds and the heat for thatpostcard photo of Wineglass Bay. Relax on the secluded beach or choose the morechallenging Mt Amos or Hazzards Beach walk for your morning’s Freycinet experience.
This afternoon we make a quick stop at Kate’s Berry Farm before coming face to face with theiconic Tasmanian Devil at our stop at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Here we meet these nowendangered native animals as well as some others unique to Tasmania. A short drive returnsus to Hobart in time for dinner where we stay overnight. (B,D)
Day 3 – Pt Arthur historic site
Start the day with a quick look at Richmond, Australia’s best preserved colonial village, beforewe head south for magnificent views of the Tasman Peninsula. Explore the Tasman NationalPark and learn about Tasmania’s ruthless convict past at the World Heritage Listed Port ArthurHistoric Site (guided walk and harbour cruise included). You’ll hear all about the chillingrealities of life as a convict, amid the restored sandstone prison buildings and preserved ruins. After a busy day we return to Hobart for the night. (B)
Day 4 – Hobart and surrounds
Spend a day enjoying the sights of Tasmania’s capital city, Hobart. Some recommendedactivities include a Derwent River Cruise on a historical square rigger named the Lady Nelson,a tour of the Cascade Brewery or the Cadbury Chocolate Factory (week days only), half daybike hire, a visit to ‘Antarctic Adventure’ or a trip to the top of Mt Wellington. All meals andactivities are subject to availability and are at your own expense. Overnight accommodation inHobart is included.
Day 5 – Hobart to Strahan
PICK UP DAY 5: Montgomery’s YHA, 07:00am
Today we traverse the island from east to west. Leaving Hobart behind, we travel first throughthe Derwent Valley, then we take a walk in the land of the giants and admire the beauty ofRussell Falls and Mt Field National Park. Next we visit Lake St Clair — Australia’s deepestfreshwater lake. Enter the temperate time capsule that is the Franklin-Gordon Wild RiversNational Park. We end the day in Strahan beside Macquarie Harbour where we’ll spend thenext two nights. Our West Coast host welcomes us with a BBQ dinner. (D)
Day 6 – Strahan and surrounding area
Discover the beauty of the wild west coast today with a visit to Ocean Beach and the HentySand Dunes. Search for elusive whale bones amongst the shifting sands or simply relax andbreathe in the freshest air in the world. Today you have a range of options. Stroll by theforeshore of the harbour or walk amongst the rainforest to a waterfall. You can choose tocruise on the famous Gordon River, take a scenic sea plane flight over the Gordon andFranklin River system (complete with a river landing and walk), journey up the King River on ajet boat, or peacefully paddle in the harbour. Strahan optional activities are at your ownexpense and subject to availability. (B)
Day 7 – Cradle Mountain to Launceston
Today we’ll climb 950m above sea level, to reach Cradle Valley — gateway to the WorldHeritage Area of Cradle Mountain National Park. After hearing about local knowledge of thelandscape, you can choose a walk to suit your taste and fitness. There is an extensive rangeof walks available. Take it easy with a stroll around Dove Lake or take one of the manyboardwalk tracks. Passengers looking for more of a challenge can tackle the hike to Marion’sLookout. Next we’ll take a short drive to Sheffield, ‘the town of murals’, before continuing on through Devonport to Launceston. (B)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Launceston accommodation from 7:30am. Default pick up: Launceston Backpackers at 07:30am.
Arrival location : Devonport Ferry terminal, or Select Launceston accommodation early evening day 7.
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Meals as indicated
- All National Park Entry Fees ($36)
- Wildlife Sanctuary Entry Fee including Tasmanian Devil feeding.
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site including a Guided Walk and Harbour Cruise.
- Hotel and Hostel pickups and drop offs
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Hat & sunscreen
- Towel & toiletries
- Swimming gear
- Warm clothing (even in summer)
- Waterproof jacket & trousers
- Water bottle
- Insect repellent
- Travel Insurance is compulsory and must be shown to the guide on day 1.
- All tours are accommodated and we offer HOSTEL (dorm or twin/dbl with shared facilities)or ensuite MOTEL/LODGE style (2-3 star ensuite). All twin/double rooms are subject toavailability at time of booking. Motel/Lodge style may be located on different premises tohostel accommodation.
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonalconditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. See termsand conditions for full details.
- Tour is operated by our touring partner Under Down Under.
- It is your responsibility to advise Adventure Tours Australia if you have any special dietaryrequirements or medical conditions (including allergies) well ahead of departure.
- It is you or your clients’ responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferredaccommodation pick up point. Please contact our inside sales teams for information onother available pick up points. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will makeyour way to our default pick up point as listed on this document. We will not be responsiblefor missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or yourtravel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.
- B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.