Starting off in relaxing Launceston, this tour will take you all the way down to Hobart via the East Coast of the island state. Known for it's comfortable temperatures, leave the mainland's desert behind and breath in the fresh air of the Bay of Fires and beautiful Wineglass Bay. Take a visit back in time to the historic towns of Ross and Port Arthur. You'll be sleeping in dorm share accommodation during the tour.
Max Passengers: 24
AUD $440.00EUR €375.00GBP £290.00
|Route||Launceston to Hobart|
|Price (adult)||AUD $440.00EUR €375.00GBP £290.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Launceston to Bicheno
DEFAULT PICK UP: Launceston Backpackers, 07:30am
This morning we journey to the East Coast and the beautiful Bay of Fires. Here we stretch our legs and take some time to enjoy this stunning coastal region. The beaches are gleaming and the water inviting, so enjoy a swim (conditions permitting) before embarking on Tasmania’s most scenic coastal drive from St Helen’s to Bicheno. This evening you can join a guided viewing of the Little Penguins (optional in season) as they return to their rookeries on the edges of this seaside village. Overnight in Bicheno.
Day 2 – Freycinet National Park to Hobart
We start early and head to the lookout and beat the crowds and the heat for that postcard photo of Wineglass Bay. Relax on the secluded beach of or choose the more challenging Mt Amos or Hazzards Beach walk for your mornings Freycinet experience. This afternoon we take a break at the picturesque historical village of Ross. Sample the local Ross Bakery fare (seasonal) or check out the convict built bridge. Come face to face with the iconic Tassie Devil as we make a stop at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary to meet these now endangered native animals, as well as some others unique to Tasmania. A short drive returns us to Hobart in time for dinner. Overnight in Hobart. (B,D)
Day 3 – Port Arthur historic site
Start the day with a quick look at Australia’s best preserved colonial village of Richmond before heading south for magnificent views of the Tasman Peninsula and the Tasman National Park. Explore Tasmania’s ruthless convict past today at the World Heritage Listed - Port Arthur Historic Site (guided walk and harbour cruise included). Rich in visual history, here we learn of the chilling realities of life as a convict amid the restored sandstone prison buildings and preserved ruins. (B)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Select Launceston accommodation from 07.30am. Default pick up: Launceston Backpackers at 07:30am.
Arrival location : Hobart accommodation early evening day 3.
Apr, Oct: Wed Thu* Fri, Sun
May-Sep: Wed Thu* Sun
Nov-Dec, Mar: Mon Wed Thu* Fri Sun
Jan-Feb: Mon Wed Thu* Fri Sat Sun
*Departures noted with an asterix are for 18-39 year olds only.
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Meals as indicated
- National Park Entry Fees ($12)
- Wildlife Sanctuary Entry Fee including Tasmanian Devil feeding.
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site including guided Walk and harbour cruise.
- Hotel and Hostel pickups and drop offs
2 nights private HOSTEL room with share facilities:
Twin/Dbl: AUD $490 / €425 / ₤320
Single: AUD $570 / €495 / ₤375
2 nights private MOTEL room with ensuite:
Twin/Dbl: AUD $560 / €480 / ₤370
Single: AUD $720 / €615 / ₤475
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes (ankle high)
- Hat & sunscreen
- Towel & toiletries
- Swimming gear
- Warm clothing (even in summer)
- Waterproof jacket & pants
- Water bottle
- Insect repellent
- Travel Insurance is compulsory and proof of insurance must be shown to your guide on day 1 of your tour.
- Thursday departures are strictly for 18-39 year olds ONLY.
- All tours are accommodated and we offer HOSTEL (dorm, twin/dbl or single with shared facilities) or ensuite MOTEL/LODGE style (2-3 star ensuite). All twin/double rooms are subject to availability at time of booking. Motel/Lodge style may be located on different premises to hostel accommodation.
- It is recommended passengers depart Hobart the following day after the tour finishes. If flights are booked from Hobart Airport on Day 3, they must depart on/after 7.30pm.
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, Traditional Owner and national park requirements. See terms and conditions for full details.
- Tour is operated by our touring partner Topdeck and Under Down Under.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.
- Tours must be reconfirmed 48hrs prior to departure by phone on 1300 654 604 (within Australia).
- It is your responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed in the itinerary and the PDF document on the website. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.