Jump on board for this leg of the Great Aussie Road Trip and leave from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Grampians National Park the spectacular Great Ocean Road and Kangaroo Island off the coast of South Australia. Take in the coastal air at the famous 12 Apostles and sleep under the stars in the Grampians National Park. Other highlights include Bells Beach and McKenzie Falls. The tour ends in the City of Churches, (r)Adelaide.
Max Passengers: 24
AUD $775.00EUR €645.00GBP £520.00
|Route||Melbourne to Adelaide|
|Price (adult)||AUD $775.00EUR €645.00GBP £520.00|
|Valid||31 March 2013 - 30 March 2014|
Itinerary: day by day
Day 1 – Melbourne via Great Ocean Road to Halls Gap
DEFAULT PICK UP: Melbourne Central YHA (corner Flinders and Spencer Sts), 06:00am
Departing Melbourne we pass Geelong and travel through the surfing town of Torquay, stopping for a quick photo opportunity at the renowned surfing location of Bells Beach. We then begin our journey along one of Australia’s most scenic drives, the Great Ocean Road enjoying the stunning scenery of this famous coastline. A short stop at Kennett River lets you do some koala spotting and listen to the abundant birdlife before we break for morning tea (own expense) in Apollo Bay. Rejoining the Great Ocean Road we stop to admire the amazing Twelve Apostles, before enjoying a bite to eat. After lunch we explore Loch Ard Gorge before passing through the township of Port Campbell and making our way to the Grampians. Enjoy dinner with your new friends before we overnight in the Grampians. (LD)
Day 2 – Grampians National Park to Adelaide
Grampians National Park, one of Victoria’s most popular holiday destinations, is an area rich in Aboriginal culture set in a beautiful and rugged ancient landscape. This morning we enjoy a walk in the National Park and take in some of the breathtaking views before making our way to McKenzie Falls to hike and view these stunning falls. Leaving the Grampians behind, we stop for lunch in Horsham before crossing the famed mighty Murray River and making the last leg of our journey into Adelaide. (BL)
Day 3 – Adelaide, staying at the Adelaide Central YHA
A free day to relax and explore Adelaide (accommodation included at the Adelaide Central YHA, meals and activities at own expense).
Day 4 – Adelaide to Kangaroo Island
PICK UP DAY 4: Sealink Terminal (inside Adelaide Central Bus Station, 85 Franklin St), 06:15am
Travel through the picturesque Fleurieu Peninsula, arriving at Cape Jervis to board the SeaLink ferry and make the 45 minute trip to Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island. Whilst crossing, it’s not uncommon to have an escort of local dolphins, so keep your eyes peeled!
Our first stop is Rob’s Shearing, before heading to Pennington Bay and continuing onto to Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Distillery, the only commercial eucalyptus distillery in South Australia. Next stop is stunning Seal Bay where you’ll experience a guided walk along the beach amongst a colony of rare and wild Australian Sea Lions. We then travel to the white sand dunes of the Little Sahara and try our hand at sand boarding, before arriving at our exclusive accommodation at Vivonne Bay Lodge. Enjoy some free time to kayak on the Harriet River, take a self-guided walk along the property’s tracks, go trail bike riding, swimming or simply kick back on Vivonne Bay Beach. Enjoy a BBQ dinner tonight. (LD)
Day 5 – Kangaroo Island to Adelaide
After breakfast we visit Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary and walk among eucalyptus trees, looking out for koalas lazing about in the trees. We then continue onto Flinders Chase National Park and arrive at iconic Remarkable Rocks ahead of the crowds to clamber over and marvel at the spectacular coast and seascapes. Next stop is Admirals Arch at Cape Du Couedic where we watch the resident fur seals frolic in the ocean or sun bake on the rocks. After a delicious BBQ lunch at Flinders Chase Visitors Centre, we journey to the beautiful, secluded beach of Stokes Bay and take a walk at Ironstone Hill (time permitting) to find wallabies and admire the spectacular view back to the mainland.
Time and weather permitting, we may make several stops en route to Penneshaw where you can purchase dinner (own expense) before we head back to Adelaide. (BL)
B = Breakfast | L = Lunch | D = Dinner
Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure. Please refer to terms and conditions for more details.
Departure location : Default pick up: Melbourne Central YHA (corner of Flinders and Spencer Sts) at 06:00am. Other pick up locations available are: Nomads Industry (196 A’Beckett St) at 06:10am; Opposite Victorian Arts Centre (St Kilda Rd, Southbank) at 06:20am; Base Backpackers (17 Carlisle St, St Kilda) at 06:40am.
Arrival location : Select Adelaide accommodation approximately 10:45pm on day 5
Apr 12 26
May 10 24
Jun 07 21
Jul 05 19
Aug 02 16 30
Sep 13 27
Oct – 14 Mar Fri
To check out departures dates and availability, just click the BOOK NOW button on this page
- Experienced guide
- meals as indicated
- national park entrance fees
- 4 nights dorm accommodation (or upgrade to 1 night private room with shared facilities and 3 nights twin, double or single ensuite accommodation)
- return coach/ferry transport from Adelaide accommodation to Kangaroo Island.
Accommodation upgrades: 3 nights budget private room ensuite, and 1 night private room with share facilities
Twin/Double: AUD $ 910 / € 760 / ₤ 610
Single: AUD $ 1170 / € 975 / ₤ 785
What to bring
- Sturdy walking shoes
- hat and sunscreen
- towel and toiletries
- warm/waterproof clothing (even in summer)
- water bottle
- swimming gear
- insect repellent
- motion sickness tablets (for ferry).
- Itineraries may vary and/or attractions be substituted for any cause including seasonal conditions, weather extremes, traditional owner and national park requirements. See terms and conditions for full details.
- A section of this tour is operated in conjunction with our touring partner Sealink, and a section with Top Deck travel.
- Travel Insurance is compulsory for all travellers on all tours and details must be presented to tour guide before departure.
- Transfer to Cape Jervis is in a 50 seater coach.
- Package is made up of 2 separate tours therefore you may travel with a different guide and passengers on each section.
- A STRICT luggage limit of 15kg applies.
- Tour must be reconfirmed 48hrs prior to departure by phone on 1300 654 604 (within Australia).
- It is your responsibility to contact Adventure Tours with your preferred accommodation pick up point. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you will make your way to our default pick up point as listed in the itinerary and the PDF document on the website. We will not be responsible for missed pick-ups (and a missed tour) if we do not receive notification from you or your travel agent, and if you are not at the default pick up point at the appropriate time.
- Minimum unaccompanied age is 17 years, children under the age of 17 must upgrade to private room.
- B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner.